Sure, the basic version of this cocktail was born in the 1800's. It's status is unquestionable, as supported by its place as one of only 6 cocktails published by
Just because the old fashioned is, well, old doesn't mean you're not allowed to "spice it up" a little...
- 8 fresh or thawed cranberries
- 2 teaspoons Bees Knees Spicy Honey
- 2 dashes of your favorite bitters
- 1 strip orange peel
- 4 tablespoons of whiskey
1. Add the first four ingredients to a rocks glass and muddle for a moment. I always use the back side of my wooden lemon juicer to muddle, so just grab whatever's around. The goal is for the cranberries to burst slightly and the orange to release its oils, but you don't want a soupy mess.
2. Add the whiskey--four tablespoons is the standard two ounces, but I don't mind if a little extra splashes in there--and a couple cubes of ice.
3. Sip liberally, preferably with friends and family.